Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Lesson from the American Dialect Handbook: The Word "Shit"

It’s common practice around the world to have two different forms of dialect in everyday usage; Formal and Informal. And like any other culture, there’s a few choice word that are rarely used in Formal speech, and used frequently in Informal speech.

In the US, there is a word used as slang for any function or object(s) relating to defecation. This word is "shit". Like most slang terms, it has many functions, and can be used in any variance the English language has. Here is a quick breakdown of how people in the US use the word "shit".

As a Noun:

shit (singular): “I left a pile of shit on my boss’s keyboard.”

shits (plural): “I couldn’t give two shits about Africa.”

shits (singular): "She must've had something. I go down on the girl, now I have the shits!"

As a Verb:

shit (present): "I need to shit this condom out. I told him Magnums were too big!"

shat (past): "She's just mad because I shat on her baby, bfd."

shit (future): "I'm gonna shit all over that DMV. Why? I dunno."

As an Adjective:

shit: "Look how fucking fat you are, you look like shit! I don't care if you're only 8!"

As An Adverb

shitty: "I don't care if you spent three days on it, it looks shitty! Shut up Mom!"

As a Transitive Verb

shit: "Can I shit in your hair? Why not?! I did the dishes! Am I the only one making sacrifices here?"

In Compound Words

shitface: "Dude, I was so shitfaced, did I fuck that homeless woman?... It was a man? Wow, he had soft skin."

shitfuck: "I finally shitfucked her! Yeah, it was awesome, despite the blood."

bitchshit:
"What the fuck is this bitchshit? Global Warming?? Gay."

shittastic: "Why do you keep using 'shittastic'? That's a stupid word."

shitbag: "NO we're not stopping at the gas station! Use the pen you have, you shitbag."

shithole: "I shitfucked that shitbag in her shithole!... Yeah it was bloody... so?"

No comments: